Extreme cold

Now, we're wimps in the Southern U.S., but it's REALLY cold.  I'm saying good-bye to my perennial herbs in the raised beds up front  -- I should have thrown some frost blankets over them, but they're in front of the house (do I really want to look at frost covers?) 

Besides, we got home from Charleston late in the day, and I think the damage was already done.

A clean slate is not a bad thing, but I'll have to figure out what to plant in March that will look attractive, while we're gone in April.  Maybe I'll have to resort to cool-season annuals, if I can't get replacement herbs.


This was last year.  Effective, but not pretty.

Comments

  1. Sorry about the deep freeze, Lisa. Of course, that's what happens to us here in the north every winter, but I understand it's unusual for you. A clean slate isn't a bad thing, as you say. Will some of the perennial herbs go dormant and come back?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Possibly, some of the thyme might survive, and the chives, but the rest of the perennial mediterranean herbs are pretty sensitive in temps below 10°F, especially in containers or raised beds, at least in my experience! Oh, well. It does provide a check on their size....

      Delete
  2. Sorry for all your lost herbs. I hope this extreme weather comes to an end for you soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're definitely not used to this sort of weather for weeks! Of course, I can replace all of my herbs -- and maybe the extra cold will knock back some insect pests...

      Delete

Post a Comment

I enjoy hearing from fellow nature lovers and gardeners. Let me know your thoughts.