A fall street planting

Street planting in front of The Junction, River Arts District
This photo doesn't do justice to the striking combination of tans and browns in one of the most unusual and striking street plantings I've seen in a while. A bald cypress is the anchor, surrounded by clusters of an ornamental grass, with the dark contrast from the spent seed heads of Rudbeckias. It was amazing in the late afternoon light.

By the time I returned with my camera, the light was a bit dimmer, so the browns were less vibrant.  We'd been poking around on the River Arts District Stroll, not something that I thought would be a photo op.

These are new street plantings in the River Arts District (Asheville, NC). A formerly industrial district, it's now a vibrant area of studios of working artists.  I'm going to find out who's the designer. Asheville Green Works, a local non-profit devoted to greening the city is located across the street, so I imagine they're involved, but the design is definitely something out of the ordinary.

Street planting in front of the building housing Asheville Green Works and numerous studios

Comments