Fresh basil and local growers

This bunch of fresh basil caught my eye in the supermarket late this afternoon.  It was accompanied by similar fresh bunches of parsley, dill, and thyme, but most were basil.

It was a brilliant offering for spring, when I'm trying to get a first round of basil started on a germination mat under lights.  And for $2.48, it seemed like a excellent exchange of dollars for value.

hydroponically-grown fresh basil

These herbs were produced by a Georgia hydroponic grower, who can certainly be considered regional, if not local.  

Basil can obviously be easily grown here in the Southeast in spring, in hoop-houses, whether hydroponic or not, pushing the season at a reasonable price.  I hope more folks start doing this.

Comments

Post a Comment

I enjoy hearing from fellow nature lovers and gardeners. Let me know your thoughts.