Cold house harvests

I continue to be amazed at how well the lettuce, arugula, spinach, kale, and mesclun mix has done in our 'cold' teaching greenhouse. 

We haven't run any heat all winter (and it's been exceptionally cold), but the warmth created through the poly covering, along with the stored heat of the barrels of water seem to provide enough heat for these greens to thrive. 

harvested lettuce mix
There are fungus gnats (a kid today said, hey, they're insects in the pots-it's organic, I replied -- it's OK), which are to be expected in warmer, rich soil, but I guess I need to figure out how to reduce their numbers.

I've been thrilled with this experiment (I provided seeds and bags of organic soil mix).  And we've had growth, not just winter harvest, thanks to our longer days at this latitude.

Comments

  1. Lisa,

    Looks very good, nice greens. mesclun and kale is prime right now in ours too.

    We are harvesting all we need and I brought a huge bunch of kale to a customer this week, more for them when it warms up.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I enjoy hearing from fellow nature lovers and gardeners. Let me know your thoughts.