Growing vegetables in containers

I like to think the soil in my garden beds is excellent (hmm), but often lettuce, greens, and mustards grown in flats or containers filled with planting mix and organic fertilizer do far better than when directly sown.

I'm quite sure it's because of extra nutrients and 'fluffier' soil; it does question the idea that healthy soil webs and organic-rich soil is the only way to grow vegetables, at least in my mind.  There's a reason that vegetables grown hydroponically flourish in solutions of water-soluble major- and micro-nutrients.  But remember my challenges in the fertilizer department, too!

Even' star mustards
So, I wasn't surprised to have a lovely harvest of mustards from this small container recently.  Quite tasty!

Comments

  1. I use containers for early lettuce and Mini Bell peppers in the summer....they work great for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmm . . . I may have to use containers more in my garden. So far, I've been working in raised beds and this year expanding them. Will try some containers and see what happens. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm such a newbie gardener, so I just wondered if I could ask how you harvest greens, when they've grown? And will another bunch grow?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Harvesting greens is easy at home - I generally cut the outermost leaves, leaving the inner leaves to grow. This is a different practice than what commercial growers do, and extends the productivity of lettuce, chard, kale, mustard, and other leafy greens.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I enjoy hearing from fellow nature lovers and gardeners. Let me know your thoughts.