A rust fungus

On a walk this morning in the Garden, we came upon a striking fungus on a native juniper (Juniperus virginiana).

Being the knowing biologists that we are (ha!), we thought cedar-apple-rust fungus, took pictures, and noticed the same fungus on other junipers in the Garden.

But, it doesn't seem to be cedar-apple-rust at all, based on my Google-searches -- the images don't match at all.

It's a fungus, to be sure, maybe a Gymnosporangium spp. -- I'll need to have my friend Meg, who's the Plant Diagnostician at the CU Plant Problem Clinic take a look!

It's definitely striking!

Comments

  1. It kind of looks like some old dried Witch's Butter - Dacrymyces palmatus. It's just a guess but it might be worth checking out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find fungii so interesting. The colors and shapes are really unusual. I also like lichen.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I enjoy hearing from fellow nature lovers and gardeners. Let me know your thoughts.