Winter flowers

Even though 'official' winter is just underway, our recent mild weather has encouraged a few early winter flowers.

These aren't natives, to be sure, but hardy imports from Asia, Camellia japonica (Camellia) and Chaenomeles speciosa (Flowering Quince). Their early flowers are an encouraging part of gray winter days (at least what passes for gloomy winter days here).

I'm thankful that we don't have too many dark days; a fellow on a nature walk this morning said 'this is what Chicago is like all winter.' Without the snow, I guess. But, that doesn't sound fun to me, although I celebrate folks who can embrace winter snow and ice with a full heart.

But I thought today WAS a gray, cold day, and I was glad to see the Professor Sargent camellia flowers and the quince flower buds.

Comments

  1. So lovely. I'm eagerly watching my amaryllis and hope for some flowers in the coming weeks. I've never lived somewhere that didn't have a truly cold, snowy winter but I must admit I do get a bit desperate for green growing things. Three more months to go...right now that feels like a very long time!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I enjoy hearing from fellow nature lovers and gardeners. Let me know your thoughts.