First hummingbird 2013

I knew there had been lots of sightings nearby before now, according to the reports and map at Journey North, but I was delighted to see my first hummingbird (a male) of the season this evening.  He was visiting the porch feeder (the whir of wings was a welcome sign of his arrival). It was only the second dinner out on the porch (the unseasonably cool March weather precluded any earlier porch meals!)

I had put out fresh sugar water in mid-March (hoping for an earlier sighting -- one of the fun things about having blog post "records" is that I can look back and see when I've first seen a hummingbird in previous years -- it's fun to look back.

hummingbird visiting Campsis (at Biltmore)
This is a photo I took at Biltmore Estate (in Asheville, NC) in late August, 2009 (and my post about watching them). 

There is an enormous Campsis radicans (Trumpet-creeper) growing on the arbor on the side of the house towards the gardens.  Needless to say, the hummingbirds visiting the flowers are used to being around visitors! 

Comments

  1. Doesn't the first hummer sighting get you excited! I saw one a week or so ago and so I immediately put up the feeder. He or another have been hanging around so far. I'm afraid of Campsis - had it once and it was a monster! I love your wildflower photos, btw.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I enjoy hearing from fellow nature lovers and gardeners. Let me know your thoughts.