Looking forward to spring vegetables!

I'm doing a program this weekend about "creating an attractive and sustainable vegetable garden" and it has me thinking hopefully about spring vegetables.

I'm feeling behind on sowing seeds and getting started due to travel and a bad cold, so am ready for thinking positively about lettuce, spinach, beets, arugula, mustards, peas, etc. -- all the spring possibilities that can be totally successful (and delicious) depending on the vagaries of late winter/early spring weather.

I've STILL got offset baby leeks to transplant, but hopefully they'll catch up quickly when I have time and energy to do that.  I managed to get in onion seedlings and transplants this afternoon, but they suffered a bit from a delay in planting (due to my being under the weather), so it'll be interesting to see how they fare.

In the meantime, this view of June raised beds in the mountains last year cheered me up!

Raised beds in June

Comments

  1. I can't wait to start my veggie garden but it is too early still. Any advice for growing beets? I love beets but they have never done well in my garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stacy,
    Beets need neutral (pH) soil and great growing conditions (in terms of compost-rich, "fluffy" soil) - I never had much luck with beets before I grew them in these raised beds, in almost pure compost.

    Check your soil pH, lime well if it's acidic, and make sure it's well-worked with plenty of organic matter. Beets are definitely worth fussing with, since they're so tasty!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I enjoy hearing from fellow nature lovers and gardeners. Let me know your thoughts.