NWF Backyard Wildlife Habitat

Why not display your sign?
I've had my sign for quite awhile, but it graces an edge of my (inside) study in the Piedmont.

I saw this sign, prominently displayed on a mailbox) on a garden tour today (this garden wasn't on the tour).  But, it had me thinking about it.

The National Wildlife Federation's Backyard Wildlife Program (based here in the U.S.) is a long-running program, and it's evolved into quite a nice one -- encouraging native plants to support native wildlife (unlike in the earlier years of their campaign).

It's a bit of a gimmick, certainly; you as the homeowner go down a checklist about your garden, pay something for the sign, and bingo, you're a certified wildlife habitat.  But it's encouraging, too, so I'm supportive of their efforts --  they've tried to go beyond yards to neighborhoods and communities (college campuses, too).  These are all good things!

Comments

  1. The home I just moved into has been certified since the first years of the program. We just put up a sign a few months ago :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really cool actually! I would rock the sign, just to support my community and the fact that I could be a certified wildlife habitat.

    -Tony Salmeron
    Tree Removal Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always been a fan of the NWF Backyard Wildlife Habitat program. And I should put my sign out!

    What gave me pause recently was their interest in partnering with Scotts-MiracleGro. A bit of strange bed-fellows, I thought. But they dropped that connection after supporters complained.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I enjoy hearing from fellow nature lovers and gardeners. Let me know your thoughts.