Native woodland garden plants

A beautiful fall day was ideal for collecting a group of native azaleas and rhododendrons (Rhododendron bakeri, R. prunifolium, R. calendulaceum, and R. catawbiense), along with some marginal wood ferns, Christmas ferns, and wild ginger (both Hexastylis arifolia and Asarum canadense).

native woodland plants, ready for planting
A mountain dog hobble and an attractive club moss rounded out the cache, purchased from a small native plant nursery in Fairview, NC (Mountain Mist) specializing in native azaleas and ferns.  It's largely a mail order operation, but we've bought plants directly by arrangement (such as today) and at the Botanical Gardens of Asheville's plant sales.

Comments

  1. I had three native azaleas purchased two of which have not survived the drought. I envy yours!! I will check out the native plant website.
    Wonderful plants.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have your fabulous climate, but I do have lots of woodland which I don't pay nearly enough attention to. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great grouping. It's times like this that I want to live where the soil and climate could handle acid loving shrubs. gail

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I enjoy hearing from fellow nature lovers and gardeners. Let me know your thoughts.