Wildflowers along the Blue Ridge Parkway

One of the benefits (totally) of being in the Southern Appalachians for the summer is proximity to great trails.  I joke to friends and colleagues during the academic year that "they don't let me out much" meaning that I'm at the Garden all the time, not out hiking.  But nothing to complain about that really.

Squaw root (Conopholis spp.)
But it was a joy to spend time on the Mountains to the Sea trail this morning, on a segment just off the Blue Ridge Parkway.
Silene virginica on a rock outcrop

a checker spot (?) basking on a Crateagus branch
There were lots of plants in flower, even though we're past the 'main' spring wildflower time.

Bowman's Root (Poteranthus), Fire Pink (Silene virginica), and Mountain Laurel (Kalmia latifolia) as well as Flame Azalea were in flower.

Kalmia latifolia (Mountain Laurel) in flower
Sedums, Tradenscantia, and Opuntia were on the rock outcrops, segregating themselves to wet and dry areas.

Comments

  1. I adore mountain laurel. I remember being fascinated by the structure of the flowers, when I was growing up.

    We certainly don't see it in California.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's nothing quite like a walk on a trail. I sure would love to be able to grow kalmia~it's such an exotic bloom. Gail

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Silene is blooming this week as well, though what a great find to see it in the wild.
    I love mountain laurel and am so glad the SCNP had some to buy. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I am with Horticulture magazine and would like to feature your blog. Can you drop me a line?
    gardenjen70@yahoo.com

    Thanks!
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I enjoy hearing from fellow nature lovers and gardeners. Let me know your thoughts.