First ruby-throated hummingbird

My gardening companion first spotted a male ruby-throated hummingbird on the feeder on Friday evening (April 1).  We saw him yesterday visiting the feeder, too. 

Today, I saw him (I'm assuming it was the same bird) 'hawking' insects from a perch on the big Southern Red Oak near the house.

It's hard not to think that somehow this is a fellow that remembers our feeder.  But he's probably taking a rest and fueling up for more traveling north.  (Hummingbirds often return the same site, but it's pretty early for that -- this is normally early male scout time).

We have red buckeyes (Aesculus pavia) and coral honeysuckle (Lonicera sempervirens) in full flower now, so there's nectar available, too.

I just saw a swallowtail (probably a black morph tiger swallowtail) visiting the Carolina Jessamine (Gelsemium sempervirens) out my study window.  Lots of Tiger Swallowtails are out now.

Comments

  1. Lisa,

    Pretty exciting seeing the first hummer of the season. Today Meg saw our first bat of the season, best we can do here. We should see them by the weekend here i guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I'd be excited to see a bat flying around, for sure. Lots of insects are out now with the warm weather this weekend. I even left my tomato transplants out overnight, although it's supposed to get chilly again in a couple of days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, then, they should be up our way soon. Would you share a photo of your red buckeye? I am considering adding one to my garden, and I want to see what it looks like in bloom. You can share it on your blog or send them to me...thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I enjoy hearing from fellow nature lovers and gardeners. Let me know your thoughts.