Gardening as a creative activity

I guess I've always thought that gardening was creative, but it wasn't the first thing I thought about in a 12-week class focused on the book, The Artist's Way (Julia Cameron). 

I thought I wanted (and needed) to draw, paint, and do watercolors and pastels to be an 'artist.'  Well, I know those activities are wonderful, and I'm trying to find the time to 'play' with some of those media, but... in the meantime, I've also realized that writing, photography, blogging, and gardening are equally compelling creative pursuits.

Collage as inspiration for garden studio
As part of each book chapter, there are LOTS of 'tasks' - which our facilitators encourage us to do. 

Yikes.  It's a lot of work (and soul-searching) in the process, but it's concentrated my attention on how much my surroundings (garden) and creative space (whether called a study or studio) are important.

I love the view from my study at home in the Piedmont (the header view), and I've missed that sense of place a bit this summer in the mountains (although there are many other wonderful aspects, and I'm totally grateful for being able to have the space and time!)

Potential site for garden studio
I'm hoping to build a small garden studio below the cottage in the mountains.  It would look out into the  forest and be surrounded by native woodland wildflowers.

I've certainly been reminded of how creative gardening is as an activity and how important it is to have a sense of place and being supported in your surroundings.

Comments