Overwintered vegetables

In normal years, I'd have kale of various sorts, spinach, and collards looking great after overwintering. Not this year. It was a hard winter (for us).

It's a pretty grim outlook in my own vegetable garden areas; the one exception is the protected (by a brick wall) kitchen garden next to the Visitor Center (at the botanical garden where I work). I take partial credit for encouraging a four-season garden there.

There, we have lovely nice lettuces, mustards ready to harvest, but a whole array of cole crops that are rapidly sending up flowering shoots (Tuscan kale and arugula among them) following a stressful winter.

In my home garden, they didn't survive winter frosts, so hooray for the protection of the brick wall.

But I have lettuce, and mesclun mix, and arugula coming up in flats, and in the garden, and the peas are FINALLY emerging. They'll probably be blasted by early summer heat, but we'll see!

Comments

  1. I know what you mean about this past winter. We did however manage to keep some lettuce, mustard greens, kale, turnip and arugula. Last night we cooked some turnip greens and mustard greens with dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I managed to keep 3 Kale plants alive all winter. Much to my surprise the kids actually loved it! The three plants have now gone to seed and will be removed soon to make way for spring veggies.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I enjoy hearing from fellow nature lovers and gardeners. Let me know your thoughts.