Salvia coccinea

Salvia is an excellent genus from a wildlife gardener's point of view. The flowers of most of the species that I've grown (with the exception of an annual bedding plant) provide nectar for bees and butterflies of all sorts, as well as ruby-throated hummingbirds.

Some of them, such as S. guaranitica (Brazilian sage or Anise sage) and S. coccinea (Texas sage) flower all season long in our Zone 7 climate. What's not to like about that?

A cultivar of S. coccinea 'Coral Nymph' - selected for its coral pink flowers - was still providing sustenance for honeybees and carpenter bees on a late November afternoon.

Comments

  1. It's still blooming here Lisa...Coral Nymph is the best! it has been known to seed itself if allowed to....gail

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got a coral nymph seedling from a gardener buddy in Charlotte this spring. I accidentally yanked it out when pulling other plants a few months back, but I collected lots of seeds. I'm hoping to grow a large area next year. Also growing black and blue salvia. The bees and hummers do love them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Coral Nymph and Lady in Red....both reseed nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gail and Janet-
    I'm glad to hear that both of you have liked 'Coral Nymph' -- it was new to us last spring (our Sprouting Wings coordinator grew it from seed for 'bedding' plants in the SCBG spring sale). The giant plants along the path that I posted about in 'What's happening at the Garden' (http://scbotanicalgarden.blogspot.com/2009/11/wonderful-pathway-planting.html) were amazing.

    I've grown Lady in Red for a couple of years - another plant sale introduction - fabulous, and although self-seeding, it's in a delightful, and non-overwhelming way (at least so far). Hope Coral Nymph is like that, too!...
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found them both to be very well behaved reseeders, they just don't handle brackish water, so mine are all gone.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I enjoy hearing from fellow nature lovers and gardeners. Let me know your thoughts.