Two more hummingbirds

A late fall view from my study

Goodness, I saw two ruby-throated hummingbirds yesterday, and two again this afternoon, much to my surprise. I topped off the feeders with more sugar water to help them on their way. They were visiting the Mexican bush sage (Salvia leucantha) and the Mexican hyssop (Agastache mexicana) when I saw them, but we still have flowers of Salvia guaranitica, Salvia coccinea, and Buddleia.

Bill Hilton, of Hilton Pond, reported their record last sighting of a ruby-throated hummingbird as Oct. 18 (at least as of last year).

Last year, we saw our last on Oct. 12 (thanks to the discipline of blog-posting, I have a record of this).

There were a few monarchs still coming through.








And, there was lovely fall light to enjoy.






Comments

  1. Good for you to catch sight of them. I miss the hummers once they are gone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never seen a hummingbird (I live in the UK) but I have the butterflies all over the sedums and the michelmass daisies. I love to see wildlife enjoying the garden with me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so enjoy your posts. I was happy to see that you still have your hummingbird feeders up! So many are taken down by now and the little hummies need that extra boost to get them along on their extensive journey.

    I planted some salvia near my front door over the summer in hopes that the hummingbirds will enjoy it. So far, they prefer the feeders that hang above. I'm hoping once the plant matures, they will take notice and appreciate it :)

    Thanks for such wonderful posts! I sure do appreciate visiting your garden :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I enjoy hearing from fellow nature lovers and gardeners. Let me know your thoughts.