Mexican hyssop

I'm quite fond of hyssops (Agastache spp).

Southwestern U.S. and Mexican natives, they include all sorts of delightful plants that are well-suited to our often droughty summers.

Hummingbirds like to visit their flowers, and they're drought-tolerant, which first got me interested in them , but their variety of forms and flower shapes is equally entrancing.

I planted Mexican hyssop (Agastache mexicana) in an oak half-barrel near the porch early in the summer. The hummingbirds have been enjoying it.

Comments

  1. I am just getting acquainted with Agastache. It is incredible how many colors and how different the foliage on this plant. I like the bold colors of 'Tutti Fruitti'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have Agastache Rupestins (which I started from seed and I saw its first humming bird just the week before last. Its flower is a pale orange.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Agastache species are a winner, at least in hot dry summers! In unusually wet ones (such as the NE US this summer, I'm not sure.

    Dave, I'm glad you've had a hummingbird visiting yours, and Janet, you'll enjoy exploring some of the other species, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this plant but it struggles in clay soil or I would have it everywhere there was enough sun shine.
    Planting it in a container might be the best idea! gail

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I enjoy hearing from fellow nature lovers and gardeners. Let me know your thoughts.